Monday, May 26, 2008

Iosepa

Justin and I have one family tradition. Every year that we've been married, we've ventured our way out to Skull Valley and spent Memorial Day weekend at a special place called Iosepa (Joseph in Hawaiian). Back in the early days of the church, Hawaiian church members that came to Utah to be able to go the temple lived there. Now all that remains is a cemetery. So every year, Hawaiians and other people who want to pay tribute to those early Hawaiian saints go there on Memorial Day weekend. We camp, eat lots of good food, make Hawaiian crafts, and have a big luau on Saturday. Over the years, they have built a big pavilion, a kitchen and bathrooms. Here are some pictures from Iosepa 2008:








Tasha with the kiddies.


The fam.


There's Makenzie!


And the Jaromater.


James & Becky Touhuni.


Naomi talking to her dad, Uncle Carl.


Justin & Reed always have to take one like this...


before they'll take one like this.


Me, Justin, Kathleen & Reed


Cooking the pig in the ground.


It's ready to eat!


This group was incredible. Beautiful Hawaiian numbers.


This kid was amazing.


Almost as amazing as THESE guys.


Sometimes things get a little crazy at Iosepa.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

That looks like such a blast! Holy cow Justin and Reed's fire dancing is so amazing! Go Justin. Glad you had a good time. So school's almost out, let's celebrate . . . bbq at our place next Saturday? I'll call to arrange details.

Meagan said...

What a fun tradition- I wish we had some traditions. I love all the recent posts on your blog- you're too funny. I'm glad potty training is getting better and I can't wait to see those adorable pics of your kids.

sheena said...

wow. that's all I can say...that's crazy!! don't mess with Justin.