Tuesday, May 20, 2008

We're havin a potty over here

Well, as you may know, our house was once again struck by sickness during the month of May, which is always depressing since we're stuck at home and dealing with totally irrational requests and tantrums all day.

But this time, we got our BIG reward. After Makenzie gets sick, she always ends up with an ear infection. So this time she got really bad ones in both ears so she was prescribed a stronger antibiotic. That antibiotic gave her the runs. This leads to our potty experience. We have been trying to get Makenzie to go on the potty since she was 20 months old (that was over NINE months ago) and we have been through it. Screaming, crying, evil possessed child ravings, you name it. We tried bribes. Every bribe. Justin would tell her "I will buy you anything you want. We'll have a big party with all your friends. You want to go to the beach? I'll take you to the beach if you use the potty." We tried guilt trips. "Jonah goes on the potty. Eden goes on the potty. They're big kids. You're just a baby like Jarom. Eww, you poop in your diaper." And of course we tried EVERY idea anyone gave us - stick her on the potty every half hour, make a big deal out of buying her her OWN special underwear, teach the doll how to go potty, spray warm water on her while she's on the pot, let her run around naked all day. We tried EVERYTHING. She refused.

But here she is last week, overcoming nasty ear infections with a case of the runs, and this happens:

Kenz: I go potty for second.
Me: Okay, it's in the living room (we stuck it in the corner where she always takes a poop in her diaper).
Kenz: I did it! Look!

It was the most beautiful sight we have ever seen. A whole ton of pee in her little potty. We tried not to freak out with too much jubilation because we didn't want to do anything to jinx this. I think that happened on Saturday. Since then, she has been a potty filling machine! I know that sounds gross, but it is utterly joyful. Cleaning poop out of her potty is kind of gross, but I practically do it with joy knowing what this means. We are so proud of her. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be some kind of a phase. I'm not quite sure what to do now. I just leave her naked all day at home, but could I really take her to the store with no diaper? Put her in bed with no diaper? Those are scary thoughts.

Okay, sorry no photos. But did you really want one?

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! That is so random that she all of a sudden wanted to use the potty. That's exciting. I'll bet it will stick. I have to be honest that I am not overly pushing potty training because the whole logistics of running errands or doing anything away from our bathroom would be so much harder. Also, I think it's pretty common for kids to wear a diaper to bed for awhile even when they go in the potty all day. Good luck and call me if Kenz is feeling better! We are going to go to storytime at Murray on Thursday at 11 if you want to come. :)

Emily said...

Cool! Yea for the potty. I love the new look of your blog too and I am so relieved to know that I am not the only one who has slept through things. ;) Golly, the things that happen in life...good thing for blogs to tell everyone about these crazy experiences! Have a great day!