Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grandma Tara...

...is learning how to crochet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sit around crocheting blankets and pot holders all day, but when I saw these, I just had to have them:







So cute, huh?? Well, I wanted some, and I didn't have $40 to spend on hats (they run about $20 on Etsy). So, I bought a pattern on Etsy, checked out some crochet books from the library, and watched tutorials on YouTube.

Before long, I was crocheting away! It gets a little addicting, like reading a book. I just didn't want to stop until I was finished. I think the funniest moment was the night I jumped into bed with my crocheting stuff and Justin was like, "No way, Grandma. Get out of my bed." I couldn't stop laughing - I totally turned into Grandma for a little while there.

I still need a little practice. I have a few kinks to work out... like sizing. I keep making them too small. The hat I made for Makenzie fits Jarom just right.

What do you think?


I don't think he likes it.

So hopefully I'll work it out soon because I love those little hats! If you like them too, you should try crocheting. It's really easy!

11 comments:

Meagan said...

Tara- I'm still laughing at Justins comment to you- haha. That is awesome though- I love those hats!!! I want to make one. I'll have to check it out. Love the picture of Jarom- man he's getting big.

Marie said...

Hilarious! I picked up knitting last winter and was the same way, seriously addicted! I had to do a little crocheting on the edge of one of my hats, but other than that I don't know how to do it (though I have heard that it is much easier than knitting). But I agree that the head circumfrence and sizing is a bit hard.

Unknown said...

great job! Looks like your addiction is working for you!

Beccarigg said...

Oh my gosh Justin's Granny comment is too funny! That's totally something Taber would say! What a great hobby to get into! I'm jealous, I totally struggle in the sewing, knitting, crocheting department. (ask Naomi, I'm really domestically challenged!) So I'm always impressed to see other people doing it!

Sarah said...

I snorted when I read the line about "no way, get out of my bed grandma." That's really really funny! (Almost as funny as playing mummy freshman year by driving around in my car with t.p. wrapped around us and waving at people for no good reason - te acuerdas?). So I learned how to knit and have been supposedly knitting the same scarf for like the past three years. It's still only half way done. Maybe one day I will finish it. You seem to have progressed beyond that point.

Tara said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah. I was considering deleting your comment. I totally remember that, we were such dorks!! haha I got a good laugh out of that one.

By the way, I think knitting is supposed to be WAY harder than crocheting. I don't dare even try.

Marrdy said...

Hey Tara! I tagged you. Now you can share with everyone all those funny things we all want to know!

sheena said...

oh my!! I can't believe you're done so fast. It would take me like a month! i love jarom in pink!

Amber said...

I am so impressed- I can't believe you did those just from reading and watching videos. Seriously... you rock!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe you would delete the comment because of our freshman craziness. You are silly. I must be more sin verguenza than you. Hahaha silly lady. You can delete this comment if you want.

I thought that crocheting was harder than knitting. Who knows!

Marrdy said...

Geez, Tara...you are going to think I am a pest but I also gave you a blog award. Stop by while you're wearing your Gucci dress and pick it up!