Every six months, I watch this thing called General Conference. It's a mormon thing. And it's an awesome thing.
Usually watching 8 hours of talks over the course of 2 days wouldn't sound very appealing. And I will confess, I fell asleep during part of the Saturday afternoon session.
But the other, let's say, seven hours of conference were amazing. President Monson's encouragement for us to get out there and serve people really touched me. So in honor of him, I'd like to repeat the words of the hymn he quoted. I LOVE this song. I think I want the first line framed somewhere huge in my house, because I tend to forget.
So here it is:
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.
What more can I say?
I think I will go serve my family now and clean this messy house.
Usually watching 8 hours of talks over the course of 2 days wouldn't sound very appealing. And I will confess, I fell asleep during part of the Saturday afternoon session.
But the other, let's say, seven hours of conference were amazing. President Monson's encouragement for us to get out there and serve people really touched me. So in honor of him, I'd like to repeat the words of the hymn he quoted. I LOVE this song. I think I want the first line framed somewhere huge in my house, because I tend to forget.
So here it is:
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.
What more can I say?
I think I will go serve my family now and clean this messy house.
6 comments:
This was one of the most memorable talks for me too! I love the idea of putting that song up in your house...love love love it
It was a wonderful reminder to go out and do some service! I feel like I always lack in this department. I am determined to look around me more and see what small things I can do for others. Conference was great. I missed a lots of talks because of kidlets, so I am looking forward to going back and listening to them again. Thanks for that post!
Our whole family was deeply touched and inspired by our Prophet's message as well! Infact several of our children have even prayed in our family prayers that they will find ways to serve others in need. It really made me realize that even though I serve people on a regular basis, there is even more I can do!
I love the song "I'm Trying to be Like Jesus" as well, and I think that is an excellent idea to put those words up in our homes! I have found great comfort from singing this song, especially when I might be upset with someone who has hurt me. It usually reminds me of who I am, and renews my commitment to be faithful and love others-- for Jesus loves everyone despite their faults and weaknesses, and we should do the same! :)
I love that song and think it's such a great reminder. I'm still catching up on conference (we were in Utah but Taber's family came in town and we didn't get too much conference in) Anyway, looking forward to hearing that talk now!
Good post. I really enjoyed conference too. So many good talks.
Post a Comment