I wake up today with a determination to make the most out of my here and now.
Not in the turbo clean sense, not in the million errands sense.
But in the my-kids-are-only-little-once, I-should-treasure-these-moments sense.
No matter what, I will have a great day with the kids.
I am feeling very optimistic this morning.
And as Life likes to do, it sees my new found resolve and raises me two cranky toddlers.
Makenzie is three.
She wakes up silly and hyper, but also angry and aggressive.
A strange combination, I know.
She has it out for Jarom, and is talking back to me in that silly way that drives me bonkers.
Jarom is two.
He is physically incapable of leaving things in their place.
Then, he starts to color.
Yes! He's entertained. I can clean up his previous 5 messes.
He moves his paper to the floor and introduces his purple marker to our carpet.
Then he needs a tissue.
He unrolls half of the roll and brings it to me saying, "Nose."
Toys are scattered everywhere, children are crying and fighting, marker is on the carpet and I'm getting frazzled. It's 10 a.m.
So what do I do when things are getting crazy? I get out. There must be some errand I need to run. Gotta get these kids out of here!
I take a shower.
When I get out, Jarom has so kindly spread the clothes I folded this morning all over my bedroom.
And this is the moment Life got the better of me.
I lost.
I yelled at him.
Can I do this?
Can I stare purple marker on the carpet in the face and not lose my temper?
Yes, I can.
I can do this.
And wouldn't you know that just when I was about to give up on my goal, things changed?
And guess what, Life?
The rest of the day ran smoothly.
I went to the grocery store with both of them without incident and I got both of them down for a nap, without the aid of the car, AT THE SAME TIME.
That's 2 to 1.
I win.
9 comments:
You're a great mother Tara. No one can be perfect all the time.... You have to look at them while they nap peacefully and then you'll know why you get up and do it everyday (I'm sure you know that though).
Trina Barry said...
Wow, Tara...I love this post! You are such a good writer, and I'm glad that you persevered! You're a wonderful mother, and I know exactly how you feel, since Anderson's doing the same things as Jarom! Hang in there. I keep telling myself it won't be this way forever, and then I think, do I really want them to grow up? When I read this, I thought of President Monson's talk, Finding Joy in the Journey.
Yes Tara you are a great writer (I always say that) and an awesome mommy. I can totally relate to you. I feel the same way!! Kono can be a real stinker everyday and Kaipo is such a high maintenance baby which leaves me highly stressed with a messy house that I just cleaned. I try to remember also that this won't last for long and someday I'll miss the hectic days because that was when they were little. Hang in there Tara! :)
I have SO been there. I recently went to Time Out for Women and spent two days being spiritually uplifted and pumped up about being a mom. I came home resolved to be the best mom in the world and be so patient with my kids and to spend tons of time just playing with them. I didn't last 24 hours. Doesn't mean I don't keep trying but I've come to grips with the fact that sometimes you just have your moments. Mine was red nail polish on the carpet after I TOLD Teya NOT to open it in there. Definitely had to count to 10 to cool down for that one. : ) Glad your day ended on a happy note, you really are an awesome mommy!
woohoo! way to take down the opposition in a close battle for the victory!
good thing scores only being kept in best out of 3, eh? :)
nah, j/k~ I'm sure you come out the victor overall every time!
great post. keep on keeping on, tara.
Great job! Thanks for the reminder to make the most out of these days with little ones. It can be oh-so-challenging, but sometimes the stars align and they both nap. :)
Post a Comment