Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Simple silhouettes

The other day I called my sister just to chat.
Asked what she was doing.
She was looking at fall decorating ideas on blogs.
Decorating was far from my just-had-a-baby-five-weeks-ago mind.

But then... she started telling me about all of these cute ideas.
And then she totally did me in by having me look at one of the blogs.
All of the ideas had the irresistible qualities of being super cute and super cheap.
I could not resist.

I made a wreath out of book pages. Sounds weird, right?
Until you see this:

That's her picture, not mine, because mine turned out bigger than I planned on and I haven't found the right spot for it yet.

That little picture also inspired me to make some silhouettes of my kids. I have been wanting to for a while so I finally just did it.

Talk about easy!
I took a picture of them from the side, printed it on some cardstock (mine was blue because that's what I had), traced around their faces and cut it out, and then just traced that onto black cardstock. 
Glued it to a white cardstock backing and popped it into a dollar store frame, and for seriously about $1 a piece, I got these:


I love them! Jarom's turned out a little better because his was smaller (mostly because I took the picture of him from a little further away I think). And that's just a reflection on the black part.

I took that far shot to show you the other idea I got for Halloween- just pick some branches out of your yard and spray paint them black to make them creepy! I'm not done- I'm gonna add a bit of spiderwebs and spiders to get the real effect.

So there you have it, my one day decorating marathon.. it was fun! And cheap!

6 comments:

Sean Carson and NIxon said...

Those are so stinkin cute! My mom said your house is so cute. I'm sad she delivered your present without me. I love the book pages wreath one of my friends just made one too and they are so cute! p.s. your kids are just so cute I think you should let us hang out with them and you and Justin can go on a date

Trina Barry said...

Tara- I love EVERYTHING!!!! You're amazing! Too cute! :)

amyraye said...

you garrison girls are way too into fall and halloween. :) you crack me up.
have to admit that i love the ideas you guys found, especially the book pages wreath. pretty cool.

Shannon said...

Your house always looks so put together! I need to steal some of your ideas. The silhouettes turned out really great. I'm impressed!

Naomi Hanks said...

Ooo! Love the silhouettes and the tree branch idea! I'm totally going to try those. I need to get more into crafty stuff, we have ZERO fall decorations and it's kind of sad.

Jess said...

Great job! Isn't it such a treat to get a little bit of time for yourself to do something other than cleaning, cooking, laundry and taking care of your kids?