This is our (not so) beautiful fireplace.
It is, indeed, still decorated for Valentines Day.
I haven't bothered taking anything down because we're planning on some pretty major renovations this weekend.
We're getting laminate wood floors.
Hopefully sooner rather than later, we're going to be renting this house out and we decided laminate was the way to go.
And while I'm in the renovating mindset, I just can't stop staring at this fireplace and trying to decide what I can do to make it look better without creating another humongous project that will take up way too much time and money.
So of course my mind thinks paint.
My sister and a friend who are both great decorators told me long ago to just paint it white.
That scared me.
I'd seen brick fireplaces painted white, but on this weird 70's concrete stone stuff?
But with any other alternative seeming way too overwhelming, I'm starting to consider it.
I'm thinking maybe painting the walls to the side of it a nice, pastel color (don't know which color yet..), and maybe just putting up some Ikea shelves on each side...
Oh, and of course, ripping off that nasty brass contraption.
The only thing I really do like about the fireplace is the wooden mantle. I hate painting beautiful wood things white, but I guess I would do that, too?
Help!
I am TERRIBLE at envisioning things beforehand.
Not a talent.
So I need your opinion, what do you think of that plan?
Maybe I should leave it alone and just get rid of Mr. Brassy Pants? Man that thing is ugly.
Maybe I should leave it alone and just get rid of Mr. Brassy Pants? Man that thing is ugly.
Anyway, I would love to hear what you think! Be honest!

11 comments:
I like the white idea, but I would definitely paint the wall a different color if you are going to do that. If you don't want to paint the mantle, then put up shelves on the walls that will tie in with the mantle piece. Or you could leave the wall white and paint the fireplace some crazy color.
I personally would hate still seeing the stone...white or not. If it were my house I would probably put dry wall up around the whole stone fasade, remove the brass cover, and then frame out the fireplace. Because I married Kevin, that would actually be a pretty easy, one day project, but if you're not feeling that brave, I would at least try some kind of stucco or mud technique to cover the stone before painting! Good luck!
tear it all out!
You guys impress me so much with your DIY projects! I can't wait to see the laminate. It will look fabulous. I have no idea what to do with the fireplace. I agree the brass has to go, but I don't think the stone looks that bad. However, I agree with Naomi that if you don't like the stone now, you probably won't like it painted another color, so mud, stucco, or drywall over it before you paint. Good luck! :)
Im excited you are renting it out!! Where would you move to?? What an awesome step for you guys. I think people would rent it out no matter what the fireplace looks like. Cheap is the best way to go. I don't mind the stone either... I wish I was talented that way but Im not the best at decor.
Good luck!!
I don't have a clue what you could do with the fireplace dilemma but I did want to point out that devin said to tear it out. I think he may have just offered his assistance on his free Saturday, so you may want to take him up if you can find a cheap alternative once it is out. On the other hand your valentine decorations are super cute!
Tara you have to see what these guys did for 82 bucks to fix up their outdated fireplace. Might give some good inspiration.
http://theletteredcottage.net/my-82-fireplace-makeover
Also, I agree that painted white stone's prob not gonna look too much better than regular stone. But good luck to you!! Sounds like an exciting project!!
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to DIY projects and decorating in general but my first instinct is that it wouldn't look good painted white. I agree with what other people said about covering it up with something else or tearing it out. Of course I also I agree that people will rent it no matter what the fireplace looks like so if you want to save time and money maybe just keep it as is. Whatever you decide to do, at least your Valentines decorations are AWESOME! So so cute!
Hi Tara,
I showed this to my mom (an interior designer). Her opinion is that you match the fireplace to the color of the wall to make it blend in. She would keep the color pretty neutral. And then paint the bookshelves a bright color as well as the mantel--make them the same color. Then she suggested that you get an ornate fire screen to draw the attention away from the stone.
What a fun project! Good luck! Take pictures!
i think the white is a great (and cheap) idea and i don't know where everyone's coming from saying stone doesn't look good painted. i've seen it done and it looks great. the fireplace will still have texture and character. instead of being a typical drywall box. rip out that brass nastiness and replace it with a simple, clean, modern stainless fixture. and then paint the walls a blue-gray like benjamin moore's seafoam and add some white ikea lack shelving the the walls. if you're going to rent this out i'd keep all the bones very neutral and add your pops of color with accessories and other decor. but that's just my humble opinion ;)
We went and bought rubbed oil bronze spray paint I think it was $6.75 at Lowe's and we spray painted every bronze/gold thing in our house. They all look brand new! I think you should get your floors in and then spray paint the bronze thingy(I have no idea what they are called) then if you hate it you have only wasted $6.75 but I think with new flooring and some fresh spray paint on that bronze thing you could have a whole new look.
Post a Comment