Sunday, August 24, 2008

Park City Marathon



Watch out, Usain. Here I come.







Go ahead. Laugh. It is probably the dorkiest picture of me in existence (well.. since middle school). Justin insisted I make the "lightening bolt" pose, and as if it weren't embarrassing enough, he kept making me do it over because I wasn't "doing it right." Obviously he was right. And obviously I am a huge nerd.

Well, I was no lightening bolt, but I did finish my first half marathon at 2 hours, 8 seconds. That's 9:10 per mile. I was 18th out of 70 in my division (female 25-29). I was 155th overall, out of 447. So not bad for my first one, but with plenty of room for improvement for next year!


My poor freezing children. We pulled them out of bed at 5 a.m. only to drive them to an elevation of 7,000 feet to freeze their little tushies off! If you're thinking "Poor Justin," you are right. He was one of only TWO dads to bring their kids to the start. Justin's awesome like that.



Where's Tara? That tape was there because they started us in 3 phases (the trail was kind of narrow). We had these chips velcroed to our ankles so you got an exact time. Check out that incredible sunrise.




I think this is the first mile. It was beautiful up there. Doesn't it just make you want to wake up before the crack of dawn and go run 13 miles?



Just getting started.



Just finished mile 10... 3 more to go!



All done and sharing peaches with Jarom. My medal is blue glass with wire swirled around it.

Okay, a few thank you's:

Thank you to the girl in the pink tank top for passing me, slowing down, and blocking me so that I was forced off the path. You inspired me to kick it into gear and beat your butt.=)

Thank you to the nasty bleeding blister that appeared on my heel on mile 9. You helped me decide that the faster I finished, the faster the pain would be gone.

And lastly (this one's for real), thank you to my mom and Sheena for all your great tips, and thank you to JUSTIN for being so supportive and cheering me along! Love you guys!

9 comments:

Rachel Murdock said...

Wow Tara! I'm seriously impressed! Someday I want to do something like that. I guess first I should be able to at least walk 1 mile though.

sheena said...

yay!! I am so happy for you....you did so so good!! I can't believe there was only one other dad--way to go Justin!! love the first photo!!! and I love your medal description!!

Marrdy said...

Congrats!! You look great at the beginning and at the end. You must be made to run. And what a nice guy Justin is. Must take after him Mom!

Shannon said...

CONGRATS! I'm so impressed by you. Way to train and finish with such a great time. I am also intrigued by the description of your medal. I will have to check it out sometime. Lucky you to have such a great hubby too. Can't wait to hang out again. I'm going stir crazy staying home with my potty training 2 year old. :)

Anonymous said...

As a fellow mom from UT, I keep up with your blog. I thought post and say Way to Go! You did really well! I think it's great the children we're there to see you and the peaches were a yummy treat I'm sure.

Tara said...

Thanks for posting, Kathleen! That made my day that you keep up with my blog!

Beccarigg said...

Tara you are AMAZING!!! I'm am so inspired by you! seriously, you rock! And I love your lighting bolt picture! You can so totally pull it off ; )

Unknown said...

Tara, good for you! Sounds like you did really AWESOME, even if it HADN'T been your first one! You look great, btw. I'm jealous. :) Maybe I need to train for a half marathon, but I counted myself athletic when I got up this morning to go walk 1.3 miles on a river trail. yeah... maybe AFTER she's born I'll be more like you! :)

Emily said...

YOU are awesome!! I love your posed shots! You did so well too. I haven't even run since the race, can you believe that? :) We should run together (just for fun) sometime. I would LOVE to hang out too. I think Scott mentioned that we may get to see you guys this weekend, Yea! Talk to you soon.