(This post is really just me letting off some steam, so I apologize in advance for the anger.)
To the outrageously rude women who:
1. Called the cops on me today because I left my sleeping kids in the locked car in beautiful weather for two-three minutes (who could be seen from inside the store) while I made a return at Michaels
2. Cursed at me and told me it's illegal to leave your kids in the car no matter how fast it is
3. Told me my kids could have died and that I need to love my kids more
Get your facts straight before you start pegging people as criminals.
Let me first say that, yes, I know that I really shouldn't leave my kids in the car, but am I the only one who has ever done that? They were both asleep and I knew it would only be a second, so I locked the doors and ran (literally) into the store for a few minutes to make a return.
Now I realize that when the people walked by, they obviously did not see me run in and had no idea how long my kids had been asleep in the car. I realize this might be alarming. And I think it's good for people to be looking out for children. But when I came out a minute later and told them I had only been in there for a couple of minutes, one would think they would say something like "Ok, we just wanted to make sure they were okay" or something to that effect.
YEAH RIGHT.
This completely arrogant mom got up on her high horse and started cursing and yelling at me, telling me what a bad and selfish mother I am. Her mom who was with her told me that she was an emergency room nurse and sees kids coming in all the time very hurt from situations like this.
Really?
We had great weather today, and I highly doubt it would be hot enough to hurt a child when there is still snow everywhere.
The fact that she told me I had broken a law (that I wasn't aware of) got to me.
I got home and called the Midvale police. I asked the officer if leaving your kids in the car is illegal in the state of Utah, even if it's only for a few minutes. He said it would depend on the scenario. I told him the scenario. When I got done, he said, "Boy I bet that shook you up pretty good!" At that point I was on the verge of tears so I could barely say "yeah," but he told me that it is not (I repeat NOT) illegal to leave your kids in the car for a few minutes in the state of Utah unless there is a "real and present danger," such as hot weather or leaving the car running with the doors unlocked. He did say it's not something he would recommend (duh), but that I had broken no laws.
So there you ignorant, mean ole women.
And can I just say? I don't care how right you think you are, you don't EVER tell a mother that she needs to love her children more. Especially when you don't know her from Adam. I'm so mad.
To the outrageously rude women who:
1. Called the cops on me today because I left my sleeping kids in the locked car in beautiful weather for two-three minutes (who could be seen from inside the store) while I made a return at Michaels
2. Cursed at me and told me it's illegal to leave your kids in the car no matter how fast it is
3. Told me my kids could have died and that I need to love my kids more
Get your facts straight before you start pegging people as criminals.
Let me first say that, yes, I know that I really shouldn't leave my kids in the car, but am I the only one who has ever done that? They were both asleep and I knew it would only be a second, so I locked the doors and ran (literally) into the store for a few minutes to make a return.
Now I realize that when the people walked by, they obviously did not see me run in and had no idea how long my kids had been asleep in the car. I realize this might be alarming. And I think it's good for people to be looking out for children. But when I came out a minute later and told them I had only been in there for a couple of minutes, one would think they would say something like "Ok, we just wanted to make sure they were okay" or something to that effect.
YEAH RIGHT.
This completely arrogant mom got up on her high horse and started cursing and yelling at me, telling me what a bad and selfish mother I am. Her mom who was with her told me that she was an emergency room nurse and sees kids coming in all the time very hurt from situations like this.
Really?
We had great weather today, and I highly doubt it would be hot enough to hurt a child when there is still snow everywhere.
The fact that she told me I had broken a law (that I wasn't aware of) got to me.
I got home and called the Midvale police. I asked the officer if leaving your kids in the car is illegal in the state of Utah, even if it's only for a few minutes. He said it would depend on the scenario. I told him the scenario. When I got done, he said, "Boy I bet that shook you up pretty good!" At that point I was on the verge of tears so I could barely say "yeah," but he told me that it is not (I repeat NOT) illegal to leave your kids in the car for a few minutes in the state of Utah unless there is a "real and present danger," such as hot weather or leaving the car running with the doors unlocked. He did say it's not something he would recommend (duh), but that I had broken no laws.
So there you ignorant, mean ole women.
And can I just say? I don't care how right you think you are, you don't EVER tell a mother that she needs to love her children more. Especially when you don't know her from Adam. I'm so mad.
8 comments:
Oh my gosh! I'm totally shaking with anger reading that too! What a freaking jerk! Sorry but people like that make me burn with rage! Where does she get off yelling at you, cursing and telling you to love your children more? Who the heck does she think she is? If she was worried she could've stayed by the car till you got back and then when she saw that everything was okay just walked away. The kids were fine, why did she think you needed a lecture!? AHH!
I for one have left my kids in the car before. I hate doing it and like you, I've never done it for more than 3-4 minutes max. But when they're sleeping and you only have to run a quick errand sometimes you don't feel up to waking them up, unbuckling them, loading them into a cart or stroller, then hauling them with you, hauling them back, loading them back into the car, re-buckling them, etc... all to run a quick 2 minute errand. Also we live in a frozen Iceland and I swear there is more harm from taking them out of the car into the butt freezing cold than there is leaving them in there for a minute. That's just me. And now I'm done venting, Thank you ; )
That sucks big time. I echo the other comments and:
1. That lady was definitely out of line.
2. Amen Becca! Running errands with kids is hard enough.
3. You are one of the best moms I have EVER known. Better than me for sure.
4. I LOVE that you called the cops yourself to see if it was against the law. For some reason that made me laugh.
I'm so sorry that happened. Hope you are feeling a little better post venting. Good thing we have some chat time tomorrow! Love you tons! You are a wonderful person, woman, mother and you have great kids!
Tara I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know how you feel- I HATE it when people try to tell me how to raise my kids. Some people in Boston are really good at that- they have to give you an opinion about everything you should or shouldn't be doing when raising kids- it has really turned into a big pet peeve of mine. Just so you know-- I would have done the same thing- it is not worth dragging them into the cold and waking them up. She was SO out of line to tell you to love your kids more...what does she know about how much you love your kids. I get so defensive about that kind of stuff. You're an awesome mom Tara!!!
That's such an annoying thing to happen. I hate strangers who verbally and publicly pass judgement on people on things they hardly know about. I would've liked to slap the other lady across the face!
Oh my gosh! I am mad too - so sorry that you had to go through that and that she treated you that way. You are awesome, seriously. I'm so impressed that you called and found out for yourself. Good for you and good to know.
Gosh Tara, I feel sooo bad for you, you're always going through rough times like this! I'm so sorry. Well, if that outrageous lady was in Orem, she'd see me do it every now and then too, and I'd get my butt chewed out as well. But fyi I only do it on very quick errands like yourself, and with the windows cracked, doors looked and not in hot or very warm weather. The times that I have done it, I always feel so bad and make sure it's FAST cause I always think about the kids who have died in these situations. But duh, you're not like that and that stupid lady needs to learn to get the facts straight before she pipes up!
It's too bad people have to judge before they have any information on the situation.
people are rude. and dumb. this kind of stuff grates on me, too.
Years ago, in a Costco parking lot, I had a similar lady berate me because I was walking ahead of my 2 young kids. "If you were at Disneyland," she says, "your kids would be gone by now. Someone would have taken them and you wouldn't even know."
And I was like, "Yeah, good thing I'm NOT at Disneyland and we're just at Costco." What an idiot.
people are dumb and rude.
Post a Comment