Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ice Fishing, Ice Sleeping

Justin has been quite the ice-fisherman this winter. He got some warm gear and a little ice fishing pole after Christmas and is really putting it to good use! The first few times, he didn't catch anything. I didn't see why guys feel the need to do these things... proving their manhood? Getting up before 5 a.m. on their day off, just to go freeze their tushies off on a frozen lake all morning?!

But like most things, the more he does it the better he gets. On Friday, he took the scouts (Justin is the scoutmaster in our ward) up to Strawberry so they could do their winter camp out. It sounds like complete torture to me. No tents, just sleeping right on top of the snow in temperatures well below freezing.

Man... doesn't that just make you want to roll out a sleeping bag?

Here's camp!
Flag raised and all.
Cozy.

That would be their bed.
Justin said he was so warm that he had to unzip his sleeping bag to get some ventilation.
Crazy.

And there he is with his fish.
Cutthroat trout.
Justin and his dad cooked it up last night.
Makenzie is my hero, she ate a ton.

Not only was this Justin's first winter camp with the scouts, but he also got brave and cooked dinner and breakfast in dutch ovens (which he has never done with them before). I LOVE dutch oven cooking. He said it all turned out delicious. Here he is with some scouts and leaders:


Way to go Just, you have proved your manhood!

3 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Wow, just one more reason we wished we lived closer to you guys! Taber went ice fishing a couple of times in Utah and loved it. He's been dying to get some guys together up here to do it since, hello! we live in the land of 10,000 (frozen) lakes! He honestly mentions how bad he wants to go ice fishing at least once a week. When I showed him this post he was like, "That's what I'm talking about! That's what I've been trying to do!" and then he was like, "That's a pretty good looking fish too."

Anyways, in the perfect world we would be neighbors and you and I would go running together, Teya and Kenzie would be best pirate pals, Jarom would marry Brinley and Taber and Justin would be fishing buddies : )

Shannon said...

That is awesome. I am so impressed Justin! All that snow and ice makes me want to go curl up under a blanket with a cup of cocoa and a book. I hate being cold. Blah. I bet the boys had a blast though and will always remember their winter camp. Good job.

Naomi Hanks said...

Whoa! Justin!? That's crazy! I think anyone who hangs out in the snow is manly...but sleeping in it puts you into stud status! That is awesome! And congrats on the fish and dutch oven cooking!