Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sticks and stones may break my bones...


or DENT my new car!

Let me back up. Last night I got all inspired about attitude and perception after reading some cool quotes/stories on Justin's cousin's blog. I told Justin about it and how much I think my attitude affects me every day. I told him how I want to work harder on staying positive... all that good stuff.

So of course today was the worst! Nothing would go right.

It was just one of those Murphy's Law "everything that can go wrong WILL go wrong" kind of days.

So after having a generally frustrating day, I remembered I had some books to return to the library (due today). I tried to renew them online to save myself the trip. Of course one out of the nine couldn't be renewed since it was requested (who requests little toddler books? Come on) so I grabbed all of the books and headed out the door. I had about 20 minutes until hula practice (which is held at our house).

The thought ran through my mind that I shouldn't take the van (you know, our brand new van). I didn't see the keys to our car though, so I figured, what the heck I'll just take the van.

On the way to the library I thought, "What if I had that feeling for a reason? What if something bad happens to the van on this little trip to the library? Wouldn't that be awful?"

So I drove extra carefully.

On the way back, I came up upon a huge group of boys on either side of the street, with big pointed sticks/stakes, and 2 or 3 of them were in the street and not getting out of the way. I had to come to a complete stop (this is more of a main road, right by the underpass for the freeway, not a neighborhood street). I was honking my horn and rolled down the window and yelled at them to get out of the street when BAM!, a rock the size of a baseball comes soaring down and hits me smack dab in the middle of my hood.

I don't know how else to explain my reaction other than this:
I totally hulked.

I was FURIOUS.
My new car!! We haven't even made a payment on this thing yet! We don't even have license plates yet!
I rolled down my other window and started yelling, "WHO threw that?!"

They started running for it.
No way were they getting away.
I sped up ahead of them, pulled over, and walked straight over to them.

I just kept saying, "Who did it?" (I was using my scary voice)

One of them fessed up.

"Where are your parents?"
"They're at work."
"Who's supposed to be watching you?"
(note: he was 10, and looked about 7)
Other boy says, "My dad's home, I'm his cousin."
"Okay, let's go talk to him then."
"Noooooo!!"
"Do you want me to talk to your uncle or do you want me to call the cops?"
(Which I would have done except I didn't have my cell phone with me)
"Okay, my uncle."
"Does your uncle speak English?"
"No!! He only speaks Spanish."
(victory, or so he thought)
"That's fine, so do I."
(to which a kid that looked about 5 said, "You do??! Coooool!!!)

Anyway, to make a long story short, I talked to the uncle and came home.
Justin was completely ticked.
We called the cops.
The cops filed a report and 3 cops went with us to talk to the kids and uncle/aunt.
The little boy cried and said he was sorry, which was good.
One really cool cop said he would make sure he talks to the kid's parents.

We have a very small dent on the hood of our van. It's not enough to make those poor people pay for it. I'm pretty sure the kid was telling the truth when he said he meant to hit one of the other boys with the rock, not our car (not that that's good, but I think it was an accident). It's frustrating.

And I screwed up my freezer jam. Justin told me not to make it on a day like this. But I didn't listen. Sorry, baby.

I'll start tomorrow on the being a better person thing.

8 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Nooooooo!!! Oh man I almost "hulked" just reading that! I totally would've busted out my "teacher voice" (aka the mean voice) and done exactly what you did. You must've been so mad! It's also frustrating that they can't pay for it. You should at least make the kid come do yard work for you or something to work off his punishment.

I'm so sorry that happened, especially to your brand new van! Hope today is a better one : )

sheena said...

oh my.......I am so sorry!!! I cannot believe you had such self control!! My first instinct while reading this was to run them over!!! (don't tell) but then I got scarred for you....those 7 year olds could be packing heat in this neck of the woods!! I hope today is better!

Shannon said...

Suck! Your new car. You sound like you were much more forgiving than I would have been. Although I am way impressed with your tenacity in cornering the kid and making him take you to his family so you could talk to them. That Spanish sure came in handy, right? I hope that today is better. It has to be. That's only fair. Love you!

Emily June said...

Tara!! I can't believe this story...your new car too! I often have the "Murphy's Law" kind of days too - it seems like their bound to show up on my schedule every once in a while. And the scary voice (I know this was serious) - but that just sounds so cool...I wonder if I have a scary voice? :) And I LOVED that you replied that you speak Spanish!! You were totally rockin...way to stick up for yourself!

Harris Family said...

I am so sorry that happened!!! We live in a parallel universe! I had the worst day on thursday but I am too proud to blog about it. Everything went wrong!!!!! Including getting a traffic ticket for not using a blinker to change multiple lanes! hello! I was upset that I was angry esp. because Ive been reading parenting books about not being angry and I lost it all day. I am glad that I am not the only one but I am glad that you found the boys parents and that tomarrows a new day! Good luck with the weekend!!!

Meagan said...

Okay- I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at this story. The dent in the car is aweful and I'm sorry you had such a bad day, but I could just imagine you "hulking" and chasing down those kids- it's kinda funny. Anyway- I'm glad you got things worked out and I hope you've had some really good days since then. We definately miss you guys your stories are always so entertaining.

Marrdy said...

You know I am not a violent person but I would have been so tempted to smack the kids upside their heads. Little buggers!

Jess said...

I feel so bad for you Tara! You're always going through things like this, you poor thing! But hey, everything you go through is a teaching opportunity and only makes you stronger. Sorry about the van! That stinks!!