Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pay it forward

I was so excited when I checked my mailbox tonight and I got both of my favorite magazines on the same day (Better Homes & Gardens and Real Simple). Since the kids were in bed, I settled down to start reading. One of the first pages of Real Simple really got my attention.
It said:

1.1 Billion
The estimated number of people worldwide with no access to clean drinking water.
Go to csdw.org to make a donation to a program that distributes PUR packets, a powder that makes potentially deadly water drinkable. For as little as $1, you can provide a child with fresh water for 50 days.

Holy cow!! When I read things like that, I instantly feel like such a spoiled, ungrateful American. Here I am all excited about my silly magazines, when children are dying all over the world because they don't have clean drinking water.

The Children's Safe Drinking Water website says that more children die each year from diseases from dirty drinking water than from HIV and malaria combined.

One dollar.

Who doesn't have $1? Anyone who is reading this has $1.

I do believe in paying it forward. Justin's cousin put this clip on her blog a while ago and it has really stuck with me:



I thought of this story when I contemplated what good $1 could do.
I think it can do a lot.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That was a fabulous story. I love it. It's just all too easy to get wrapped up in our miniscule problems and forget those who are truly suffering. I definitely needed to hear that. Thanks.
PS-Good luck with those public tantrums. I miss you and your cute kids. :)

Amanda and Jake Matagi said...

Tara, you make me want to be a better person. I'm so glad you post blogs of awareness. Its nice to be reminded that just because of the things going on in our country, we are still extremely blessed. We have clean water to drink and brush our teeth in. Thanks for the reminder!