Monday, March 8, 2010

International Food Week

A few weeks ago, I was watching Food Network's Giada make risotto.
Have you ever had it?
I hadn't.
When I think of Italian, I don't think rice.
But this creamy, delicious rice dish hadn't left my mind since I saw it.

So today I decided it had to happen.
As I started looking up the risotto recipe and other Italian dishes to go with it, I realized how many "foreign" foods I haven't ever dared to make.

And so, in that very moment, I decided to make this week International Food Week at our house.
Each night this week, I'm going to make a dinner from a different country.
Kinda silly, I know, but it can be my interest for the week.

And so I could have my risotto, I decided to start with one of the safest and most familiar countries: Italy.
(A disclaimer: I am NOT a food photographer, and I didn't even try to make a pretty presentation of the food. Sorry. Mostly I just wanted to eat it, not take pictures of it.)

Ok, so that aside, here was our mix from Italy:

Giada's Mushroom Risotto with Peas
(this isn't the one I saw her make, that one had butternut squash in it, but we had butternut squash recently and I didn't want to butternut us to death)

Grilled lemon and herb chicken with goat cheese (I didn't find this in any traditional Italian cookbook, I just wanted it and figured it was close enough to Carrabba's Chicken Bryan to count)

Caesar salad (no parmesan, ran out) with my favorite new way to make homemade croutons
(cut up one cup's worth of a baguette -french, sorry- and saute one smashed garlic clove in 2 tbsp. olive oil. when it starts to brown, take garlic out and toss the bread in the oil. Once it's browned, take it out and add salt and parmesan cheese)

And we had some delicious garlic bread, which thanks to my crouton recipe, I discovered tastes much better brushed with olive oil instead of slathered with butter. I would have never guessed.

And, oh yes, some double chocolate biscotti for dessert:


It was so fun. The kids of course loved helping make the biscotti, it has its rewards-

That was the most fun I've had cooking dinner in a long time.
I can't wait for tomorrow!


6 comments:

Trina Barry said...

Wow, can I come over for dinner? I bet Dad loves being there! :)

I love your kids pic, so cute! I want recipes...

I sure miss you guys! Tomorrow I was planning on blogging about what I made for dinner with my bountiful basket order. It was a lot of work, but so worth it. We'll see if I actually get around to it, I've been so punky lately- well as far as blogging goes, that is.

Shannon said...

Wow. Very fun and impressive! So, how did the risotto turn out? I've never had that either. Can't wait to hear what you end up doing tonight!

Unknown said...

what's on the menu for the week? I am excited to see your food adventures...

Amanda and Jake Matagi said...

Props to you, this looks like a lot of fun. All of the dishes look delicious!

sheena said...

you made this all in one day???!!!

can we come over?

Beccarigg said...

Oh my gosh Tara!! I can't let Taber see this post or all I will hear from him is, "Well Tara makes HER family amazing 4 course meals from different countries all from scratch...just sayin..." Then he'll give me the sad eyes of the martyr who is stuck with the same old meals every night. There will be no living with him I'm telling you!!

Seriously though, you are the bomb! That meal looks amazing and what a fun way to stretch yourself and make cooking fun!

p.s. sorry I couldn't chat more at the wedding! Too many people to catch up with! you looked sooo good though, seriously, I want to look that hot when I'm prego!