Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First sewing success

I know I said my rows of crooked lines were my first sewing success, but I was actually able to create something useful, and in my opinion, something that actually turned out attractive:


Our new baby's crib blanket.
Now before I go acting like I can actually quilt something, I must say I didn't do this alone.
I sewed the entire top of the blanket, and then gave it to my sister-in-law to quilt the top and bottom together with her cool quilting machine. And she put the binding on for me, which was really nice.

I don't know if you can see, but she did the quilting design in little swirlies to mimic the pattern of one of the materials. Pretty cute!

I know it's far from perfect, but when you have to spend hours on YouTube just to figure out how to thread a sewing machine, learning a whole new vocabulary along the way...
this is victory!


10 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! I am majorly majorly impressed! It turned out really cute. I can't wait to see the new baby's room. So when I decide to sew something will you be my machine threading mentor? :)

Jenna said...

That looks awesome. Good job.

Amanda and Jake Matagi said...

I would not down play your success Tara, it looks awesome. Very cute fabric choices, love how it turned out.

Naomi Hanks said...

It turned out beautiful!!! Good job Tara!

Jess said...

It looks great Tara! I would surely be proud of myself if I did something that looked like it. And yes, I can see the swirls..neat-o!

G Sauce said...

Even if it's not perfect it will always be special to you. Also that blue fabric with the little bumps is one of my favorite fabrics. It's so soft!! Great job!

Chelsea said...

wOw you kicked the crap out of my first sewing project! Way to go!

Marie said...

So cute Tara! Good job at sticking to it and figuring it out. You will cherish this creation!

Beccarigg said...

Fabulous! I'm so impressed and wish I was brave enough to try my hand at sewing. I'm really intimidated by sewing machines but when I see stuff like this I'm just like, "How cool would it be if I could do that?" Maybe someday I'll tackle it, for now I'll just admire your fabulous work!

Trina Barry said...

I love it, you did a great job! Thanks for posting so I could see it, I'm very impressed